Friday 23 September 2016

The search for Smarts

I'm in the market for a smart watch. After 4 years of loyal service, my Garmin Fenix 2 has expired, leaving me with only two other ways to track my running and cycling activities.

But rather than mourn the loss of a dear technological friend, I feel it's only right to commence the most comprehensive evaluation of all possible replacement devices.

Which watch

I run, cycle, work out, and occasionally swim. So speed and distance measurements are important, as is heart rate monitoring. I couldn't give two hoots about stride length, cadence, vertical oscillation, VO2 Max or recovery periods. I'm not Mo Farrah. Oh, but it has to Bluetooth to my  phone, obviously.

So I set off on my epic campaign to review all the information available to a would-be watch buyer. And, wow! What a choice there is. Even if I stick with good 'ol Garmin, there are 28 different models to choose from, not counting the different colour schemes.

Nearly all of them do what I want. And they range from the £849.99 Fenix Chronos, down to the £89.99 Vivofit. Garmin's UK website doesn't allow filtering by functionality, only by 'activity', and not by more than one activity at a time. I don't want to be pigeon-holed into just being a runner, or just doing 'tactical training', whatever that is.

The only other option is to compare devices. There's a limit of 4 devices on their comparison tool which, given I haven't narrowed my selection down from 28 yet, seems inadequate.

I'm done with the Garmin website. Next up is the excellent www.dcrainmaker.com. DC's website gives phenomenal in-depth reviews of most of the latest sporty watchy gear. He leaves no stone un-turned in the pursuit of feature and performance testing. Both the watch and the software get a thorough going over, and useful comparisons against other devices and his annual favorites. Some of the reviews run to 'dissertation' length. And honestly, I don't have the time!

I checked out his '2016 Best Buys' list, and found the Garmin Fenix 3 topping the list, alongside the Garmin 920XT. Looks like a simple choice... I liked the Fenix 2, why not buy the Fenix 3 and get on with my life?

BUT WAIT....

What about a proper smart watch... you know, like the Apple Watch, but not so w[SENSORED]ky ?

Since I bought my trusty Fenix 2, the market has exploded with smart watches from all the phone companies, most of the watch companies, and a host of other people too... Mont Blanc eStrap-on? Huh?!

And do I want a smart watch, or just a smart strap? Or connected trainers? Or just use my phone - which does everything a smartwatch does better.

I'm going for a lie down. This is all too much. I pity the general public in making these kinds of decisions, except for the ones who like making comparison spreadsheets, and the ones who just buy whatever's on offer in Argos. For the rest of us, it's time to embrace the impending shoppers' remorse, and 'chose-the-wrong-device' anxiety.


Now... where's my spreadsheet from 2012 ?

No comments:

Post a Comment