Monday 24 October 2016

Tesla's level 5 autonomous driving and why I nearly fell over

Self-driving cars again, huh? So much noise on that channel, and here is Tesla knocking out news that isn't news. All the new Teslas will be equipped for level 5 autonomous driving. They're at level 3 right now, where a human has to sit behind the wheel and be able to take over at any time. Level 5, however, is 'no human needed'.

Of course, the level 5 isn't yet activated, because that's not allowed yet. But it'll soon be painfully obvious that cars are better than people at driving, and the legislation will adapt
Yep, before long you won't need to drive. You could read a book, take a nap or even not bother going and let your car do the work.


And thats when I nearly fell over. I was on my way to collect my middle child from an after school club when it hit me. With this new Tesla, I could just send the car. Hold the phone!
The lives of those of us fortunate enough to be burdened with one or more progeny are blighted by the need to ferry young ones hither and thither, as we attempt to enrich their out of school learning. Football practise, music lessons, school trips arriving back late, play dates... you get my drift.

But here's a Tesla that could do that for you. Send the car, stay on the sofa, and enjoy a restful evening. Hey! Why not just give the kid the Tesla app and let him send for the car when he needs it.
The Tesla is a better, safer, less impatient, more focused driver than I am anyway, so why take the risk of driving myself. If Granny wants to pop over and Grandad doesn't want to drive her, send her the Tesla. She can even tune it to Classic FM if she wants.

I want level 5 and I want it now.

But wait. Aren't those trips in the car some of the only times you get to chat with your kid one to one? Those precious 15 min therapy sessions, locked in a moving car with no blaring screens and no headphones in ears? The delighted retelling of a successful sporting conquest, the sharing of angst and frustration from a particularly bad day, the reminiscing back to past times when an 'oldie' (from 2011) comes on the radio.

I hope that Tesla and their self-driving-car  competition don't rob us of our last precious moments of shared parental time before the kids themselves have learnt to drive, or learnt to Uber, or learnt to do whatever it is they have to, to get around in the next decade.

In the meantime, I'm going to relish these pick-ups just that little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment